Friday, October 2, 2009

California


Jeff and I arrived safely in San Francisco yesterday and made our way up to Santa Rosa through some heavy traffic. We were glad to finally reach our hotel, the Fountaingrove Inn, which is very nice, and better yet had a great happy hour which was perfect since neither of us had eaten much all day and it was about 7:30pm Minnesota time. We got some great chicken tacos, sweet potato fries and beers for about 15 bucks including tip. We didn't want to eat too much though since Jeff made dinner reservations for us at the Riviera, a restauran that Levi Leipheimer likes.




Which brings me to why we are here in California in the first place! We are celebrating our 10th anniversary, which really was in July, but better late than never. Also Jeff is doing a 103 mile bike ride put on by professional cyclist Levi Liepheimer who lives in Santa Rosa. I am volunteering my time as a nurse in the medical tent for the race. It could be interesting, and I'm sure I will have stories to tell when I get back! I'm hoping Jeff is not going to be one of my customers! There will be 3,500 riders!

Back to dinner last night. We had a very nice meal at the Riviera, and who should we be sitting 5 feet from, but Levi himself and his whole family! It was pretty cool. Jeff didn't want to talk to him though, so we didn't get to schmooze.

Today we slept in a bit then headed towards downtown to have breakfast at Dierk's which was quite good. We then headed to The Historic Railroad Square where we made a stop at the Santa Rosa Visitor's Bureau to get some maps and info. We also headed to Finley Park, where the race will kick off, so I could sign in and we could figure things out. Next stop was the NoCal Bike Shop where Jeff got a bike map and advice for where to do a 1 hour ride today, which is where he is right now as I lay on a chaise by the pool!! I must admit, I could get used to this! :)

Later we are going to head to the Pacific to see some sea lions, the sunset and grab some dinner!

Big race day all day long tomorrow! I'm taking photos which I will post when I get home. Getting hot...time for a dip!




No comments: